Newall Green High School Performance Data
All schools are now subject to different types of performance data.
The new measures which are published now include:
- Progress 8
- Attainment 8
- The percentage of students entered for and attaining the English Baccalaureate
- The percentage of student attaining grade 5+ in English and Maths GCSE
Progress 8 is a new measure of the progress children make between the end of primary school and the end of secondary school. It is based on students’’ progress in eight qualifications. These are:
- Science and two other English Baccalaureate subjects (computer science, geography, history or languages)
- Three further subjects which can be from the range of EBACC subjects, or can be any other GCSE or approved, high-value arts, academic, or vocational qualification.
- English and maths, at least one science, and students’ five highest scores from a range of other qualifications, including GCSEs and approved non-GCSEs. English and maths are given double weighting to reflect their importance.
Schools are expected to achieve a Progress 8 score above -0.5, which is the minimum standard expected by the Government.
This is the students’ average achievement across the eight subjects used in the Progress 8 calculation.
The English Baccalaureate, or EBACC, is a measure of how many pupils achieve a GCSE grade C or above in five core academic subjects: English, maths, history or geography, a science and a language. In addition, students must take both English language and literature, although they only need a grade 5+ in one of them.
Class of 2019 Results
Newall Green High School wishes to congratulate all of the students who have contributed to the school’s excellent GCSE results. At a time when examinations are becoming more challenging it is with great satisfaction that we see the hard work of our young people being rewarded.
We are pleased to announce that the class of 2019 have contributed to the school’s excellent GCSE results, with the following significant improvements since 2018:
• % of students achieving grade 4+ in both English and Maths increased by 7.7%
• % of students achieving grade 5+ in both English and Maths increased by 6.7%
Core subject improvements:
• Maths increased grade 4+ achievement by 6.6%
• English Language increased grade 4+ achievement by 6.5%
• English Literature increased grade 4+ achievement by 9.2%
• Science increased grade 5+ achievement by 7.0%
• English Literature increased grade 5+ achievement by 6.2%
• Maths increased grade 5+ achievement by 5.2%
Continued success at the highest grades in Expressive Performing Arts and Sport:
• Over two-thirds of the Photography cohort achieved grade 5+
• Over one-fifth of the Art cohort achieved grade 7+
• Over one-quarter of the Drama cohort achieved Distinction+, with 57.9% achieving Merit+
• 54.8% of the Sport cohort achieved Merit+
Performance Indicator Table:
|Performance Indicator||2019 Cohort|
|Number of students in cohort||135|
|Progress 8||- 1.057|
|% students achieving grade 5+ in English and Maths||21.5 %|
|% students achieving grade 4+ in English and Maths||40 %|
|% students entered for EBACC||40.7 %|
|% students achieving grade 5+ in EBACC||4.4 %|
|% students achieving grad 4+ in EBACC||10.4 %|